July marks the beginning of our annual “Go Grene This Summer” promotion and awareness campaign where we hope you will join us with fun in the sun all Summer long. Energy efficiency and clean energy technology can save you from breaking the bank this Summer by transforming your home or business into a green ecosystem designed specifically for you.
But, there are other ways to save money off your energy bill that you can do every day. Duke Energy, based out of Plainfield, Indiana, has compiled a list of tips that anyone can use to manage energy costs and breathe a little easier (despite the humidity).
With May and June bringing record temperatures in some part of the country and new highs still on the horizon, it is important to remember that every degree your thermostat is set above the temperature outside, your total bill is also increasing. What else should you keep in mind?
- Set your A/C to a comfortable temperature, keeping your thermostat set as close as possible to the temperature outside.
- Change or clean your air filters monthly to reduce strain and energy use.
- Inspect and service your HVAC system routinely with preventative maintenance to extend the lifespan.
- Don’t cool an empty house by installing a programmable thermostat that adjusts to your schedule.
- Keep the sun and heat out of your home by closing the blinds, drapes, or shades during the hottest parts of the day.
- Grill and cook your meals outdoors with a BBQ to ensure heat is only produced outside, not in the kitchen.
- Use fans in any occupied room to help circulate the cool air and let your A/C have a rest.
- Turn off lights when they are not needed to keep the heat produced by lighting at a minimum.
- Replace your aging incandescent or fluorescent bulbs with energy efficient LED bulbs that use 90 percent less energy.
- Seal air leaks with caulking or weather stripping to keep cold air inside and hot air outside.
Join us on social media and Emilygrene Blog all Summer long to participate in our annual “Go Grene This Summer” campaign. We will have weekly promotions, contests, games, tips & tricks, news, awareness initiatives, shareable links, and much more to make this Summer a green one. Use #GreenerTogether or #GoGreneThisSummer and help us make a difference now while spreading the word about clean energy throughout communities nationwide.
Source: WRBI Radio